"...and I will dwell in the House of the LORD forever!"

Monday, July 26, 2010

A Helpmate from Heaven


One year ago this coming Sunday, Natalie and I began the “bliss” of marriage. I was scared, but I was excited. I was anxious, but I was calm. This decision was for life, but what a wonderful decision it was!

I always heard the “wisdom from the wise” when they said “When you know she’s the one, you know!” That never seemed logical, but with Natalie, it was different. Even in the beginning stages of dating, I knew she was the girl that God had prepared for me, and I prayed earnestly that I was the guy He had prepared for her! She was everything I was looking for: nurturing, compassionate, competent, friendly, funny, and extremely intelligent. But as soon as we said “I Do”, I learned that my wife had another talent than MANY women don’t have. She is a FABULOUS PREACHER’S WIFE! It’s extremely stressful to be a Preacher’s wife! Not only does she strive to please her husband, but she also strives to please the entire congregation! She learns what it means to always “live in the public eye,” and that any decision she makes, good or bad, will affect the ministry. She understands when “date night” gets cancelled because someone is sick, someone has died, or there is an emergency in the congregation. But one of the biggest challenges a Preacher’s wife faces is listening and watching her husband get criticized, but knowing there is nothing she can really say or do!

But what makes Natalie SO special? She loves the Lord our God with all of her heart, with all of her soul, and with all of her strength. When I was at Harding, I knew it was a good chance that I would find my wife on campus, and so there was one special persona I was looking for, “Ms. Proverbs 31.” In Proverbs 31, the author describes the “ideal” wife. He writes, “A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.”(Proverbs 31: 10-12) I certainly have found that wife of noble character, and I have full confidence in my beautiful wife. And with that confidence, I know without a doubt that she possesses the most important quality of all. “Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.” (Proverbs 31:30)

Are you looking for the perfect girl? Sorry guys, I already found her, and there’s NO WAY I’ll ever let her go! But in your search, let me give you the key to success: Marry someone who will help you get to heaven. If they aren’t that someone, that marriage is NOT for you! Thanks be to God, I found my “Helpmate from Heaven!”