"...and I will dwell in the House of the LORD forever!"

Monday, August 23, 2010

“Preaching with a Paper”






We're living in a day and age where the church is viewed as irrelevant, boring, and useless. Many ask the usual 21st century question, "What's the point?" For any student of the Bible, this question is heartbreaking! Even a quick study of the text will show that the church is vitally important to God, and it should be vitally important to followers of Jesus Christ! What do you think about this story?




A church-goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday.



He said, "I've gone to church for 30 years now, and I have heard probably 3,000 sermons. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them. So I think I'm wasting my time and preachers are wasting theirs preaching sermons to me."



Well, this started a real controversy in the "Letters to the Editor" section of the paper. With the interest this one letter stirred up, the letters flew back and forth for weeks, much to the delight of the editor. Then one day, someone wrote the clincher letter. He said: "I've been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals. But for the life of me I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know this...they have nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given me those meals, I would be physically dead today. Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today."


Even coming from a Preacher, I admit that I couldn't have said it better! So let's thank God for His foresight in planning for our spiritual nourishment to happen in worship every Sunday! And you know, if you aren’t there whenever you have the opportunity, you might be slowly dying!