"...and I will dwell in the House of the LORD forever!"

Monday, November 1, 2010

“Get Your Facts Right!”


Llano, Texas is filled with historical structures and symbolism. It’s no mistake that the Marquee on the square portrays this motto: “The Way Texas Used To Be!” In some ways, when you drive through Llano, Texas, it feels like you’re driving back through time!

A few weeks ago, Natalie and I toured the old Red Top Jail that sits by the Llano River. It was built in the 1890’s, and it was actively used until 1980! As you walk through the narrow metal doors, it’s almost like you can see the shadows of the town drunks and hear the voices of bank robbers. Narrow and steep stairs climb to the third floor where the gallows are still located (Though they were never used). You’re consumed with the aura of yesteryear. Throughout our tour, the information we received from the tour guide seemed a little bit “fishy.” I kept saying to myself, “I’m no Llano history buff, but that just doesn’t sound right!” The tour ended in the living quarters of the warden and his family, but the climax of the confusion also came to the surface. The tour guide pointed at some pictures on the wall and said, “These are the pictures of some of the wardens of Red Top Jail.” I walked up to the pictures, and I quickly realized that these were pictures of William Travis, James Bowie, and Santa Anna. I turned to the tour guide and asked him a question, just to clarify that I didn’t misunderstand what he was saying. “So you’re telling me that two Alamo heroes, and a Mexican President and General, served as wardens of the Llano jail?” With no hesitation, the tour guide replied, “Yes, I believe so!” William Travis, James Bowie, and Santa Anna must have been men of many talents!

This little incident got me to thinking, “I sure hope we tell the story of our Savior correctly.” I hope we don’t confuse what Jesus did with the things He didn’t do; what Jesus believed, with the things He didn’t believe! After all, Jesus said that He was, “…the way, the truth, and the life.” (John 14:6) I hope we don’t turn His crystal clear integrity into a haze of lies.

Can we know EVERYTHING about Jesus? Obviously we can’t be certain about every detail. But when people press us for information about the things which are unknown, I pray that we will rely on the words from the “disciple whom Jesus loved” when he wrote, “Jesus did many other things. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.” (John 21:25) You see, this plea for ignorance keeps our integrity intact!

Let’s hold onto that plea, because it would be terrible to hear God say “My child, GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT!”