"...and I will dwell in the House of the LORD forever!"

Monday, January 3, 2011

“Did the Alarm Ring?”

I admit it. I’m guilty as charged. I’m one of the millions of Americans with iPhone addiction. I absolutely love my iPhone! It keeps all of my sermon ideas, it plays my favorite songs, and it lets me access the Internet from anywhere at anytime. It serves as a GPS. It tapes my favorite TV shows. It even calculates yardages when I play golf! Now, I’m not as “addicted” as some. They have more “apps” for their phone than minutes in the day, and they still search for more! My iPhone is less advanced, but I still have the addiction. I guess confession is the first step to recovery!

But even though the iPhone is loved by America, the iPhone received abundant negative feedback this past week. When 2010 came to a close, and 2011 officially began, there was a glitch in the computer system of the phone. The alarm clock wouldn't ring, much to the frustration of many iPhone users. One user even wrote on twitter, “Dear iPhone, why didn’t your alarm go off this morning? I set six of them. I’ve now missed church. Thanks for nothing.” If they really needed SIX alarms to wake them up for church, I don’t imagine that making church was really a serious possibility! I’ve wondered why people were so upset and agitated! No one enjoys hearing an alarm ring! Whenever an alarm goes off, most of the time it wakes us up from our peaceful slumber. However, I also realize that when we miss our alarm, we usually miss our appointments, and our schedule quickly spirals out of control.

The Bible tells us that God has His own alarm that He plans to use! He doesn’t depend on the alarm to wake Him up or to keep His schedule. He will use it to prove that God is God, and that God always keeps His promises. The Apostle Paul described the resounding volume of God’s alarm when Paul wrote “For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of an archangel and with the trumpet call of God…” (1 Thessalonians 4:16)

For Christians, the alarm will be terrific. For the world, the alarm will be terrifying. Nevertheless, the alarm will certainly ring!