"...and I will dwell in the House of the LORD forever!"

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

“I Went to the Super Bowl!”

Sunday marks the greatest day in the tantalizing world of the pigskin, Super Bowl Sunday! By now, avid football fans are amply prepared. They've already picked their tastiest snacks, chosen the most entertaining house, found the biggest TV, and pulled out their most comfortable pants to watch the big game. They do all of these things for one main reason--to see which squad of "brutes" will be Super Bowl Champs! But even those who aren't football fans love the Super Bowl! They have the chance to see the most creative and amusing commercials of the year. Music fans also look forward to the half time show which encompasses the biggest stage in all of music entertainment!

For some reason, this year the Super Bowl has demanded my attention more than usual. It doesn't have anything to do with the teams, because if it's not the Cowboys, I'm not too interested. It has nothing to do with the half time show because most of the time, I'm still at church winding down Sunday activities. As far as commercials are concerned, I enjoy them, but I'm never swayed to purchase. This year, the price of everything keeps striking my radar! Most recent reports show that they average Super Bowl ticket costs well over $1,000! You don't even want to know the price of downtown hotels, but I even heard that a Super 8 in Arlington is charging $800.00 a night! What's "Super" about that? But here's my favorite crisis of commerce--fans can pay $200.00 to stand outside the Cowboys Stadium during the game. That's right, stand OUTSIDE! Can they walk in and use the restroom? Of course not, but for $200.00, they are more than welcome to stand on the sidewalk and "take all of it in!" What exactly are they taking in except the bitter cold in their fragile lungs? I guess they can look back and say, "I went to the Super Bowl!"


I'm afraid that's how many people see Heaven. Whether they admit it or not, they believe they can live how they want to live, and still stand outside the pearly gates and take in the pleasure of paradise! Jesus seems to disagree! He uses words like "Unless you deny yourself", or "...drop everything", or "...follow me daily." And even after we do ALL of these things, only by the grace of God will we ever enter Heaven! Heaven comes with a cost, but the cost is certainly worth the reward! And if you listen to Jesus, one day you will say, "I went to Heaven", as you sing, "Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come!"