"...and I will dwell in the House of the LORD forever!"

Monday, April 11, 2011

Does God Shut Down?

I can only speculate, but I think it's fair to say that I wasn't the only one who was troubled by discussions of the government shutting down last week. As I listened to the news, the same question kept circling through my mind, "How can the United States, the Home of the Brave, the Land of the Free, support a government that quits?" I'm not a political expert. I never have been, and I never will be. But from the eyes of a Hawk, this dilemma stems from one basic detriment of life, human selfishness. When we focus on our personal agendas rather than the utopia of the greater good, success is a dim light in the distance we can't reach. I fear that even if the government moves on from this threat of shutting down, last week's "solution" is only a band-aid for a fatal disease. Until the selfishness disappears from both sides of the aisle, or at least significantly decreases, this lack of cohesiveness will be very common and destructive.

Once again, I don't care to debate this political party clash. I'm sure that many political connoisseurs could devour my argument. That's ok. I know it's not Harvard Law material. But even though I don't care to focus on the political arena, I must focus on the spiritual realm. I take great pride, confidence, and assurance in the fact that our God will never shut down! He's always open for business, ready to govern, and willing to listen. In our world that's constantly changing, God doesn't change! In our world that's full of violence, God is full of peace! In our world that's slowly, but surely passing away, God is eternal!

Where is your allegiance? Pledge it to God! He will never shut down!