"...and I will dwell in the House of the LORD forever!"

Monday, August 1, 2011

God's Gift

Today, Natalie and I celebrate two years of marriage. It's impossible for me to forget our wonderful wedding at Waterview Church of Christ. Hundreds of people came to witness that very special day. However, I've also found my mind drifting back to the softball fields where we first met.


It was a cool March evening at Harding University, and I was playing in a club softball game. These games were always very well attended, mostly by female attendees. Natalie wasn't watching me, but little did she realize I was watching her. I worked up the courage to speak with her after the game. We had a brief conversation, but in those five minutes, I knew she was special. She ran off with her girl friends for the routine "Sonic Run", forgetting about me as soon as she ordered her lemon berry slush. Poor girl; she didn't stand a chance! She was now being watched by the eyes of a "Hawk". Natalie Stancill was going to be my wife.


The last two years have been full of excitement, joy, but also many challenges. Since May of 2009, Natalie and I have graduated college, began full time ministry, moved to a new city, bought a new house, and received the fabulous, yet unexpected news that we will be having a baby boy. These aren't exactly "stress-free" conditions, and I'm certain that I couldn't have faced these challenges without Natalie. She's God's gift to me.


I thank God every day that He gave me intuition. That night on the Searcy softball fields changed the course of my life. I met the "gift", and I immediately knew she was mine. Very soon, someone else will realize how lucky he is to have her, Hayden. To have a mother like Natalie Hawk is a true blessing. It will only be a matter of time before Hayden joins me in thanking God for our priceless "gift"!