"...and I will dwell in the House of the LORD forever!"

Monday, October 24, 2011

Insights from Hayden

This past week Natalie and I experienced a miracle, the birth of our precious baby boy. I don't know how we can view the birth of a child any other way. Hayden Jacob Hawk was born Tuesday, October 18th, 2011, at 1:05 P.M. at Methodist Hospital in San Antonio. He weighed in at 8lbs., 8oz., measuring 19.25 inches long.

October 18th, 2011, is a day I'll never forget. I'll always remember that call at work with the famous four words, "My water just broke." I'll always remember the high speed, sixty-three mile race to the hospital, swerving in and out of rush hour traffic. I'll always remember putting on scrubs, deep prayer in the surgery room, and finally hearing that first cry. I'll cherish forever the tears that filled my eyes when Hayden clasped my finger with those small, delicate, hands just minutes after birth. We bonded. I kept whispering to him over and over again, "You are my son. I am your daddy. And there is nothing that can make me stop loving you!"


As I've taken it all in, I've had some spiritual thoughts I've never had before. Why did God send Jesus as a baby? You know, there was about twenty-five years in Jesus' life when He didn't do much! Why not just send Jesus as a grown man for his three year ministry, get it done, and go back home? Obviously, Jesus needed to be taught like the other children, He needed to build relationships with those He would lead, and He needed to fulfill prophecy; but as a new dad, Hayden gave me some different insights.


Maybe God wanted to take in the whole process. Maybe God wanted to experience what we experience, feel what we feel, and see what we see. When Jesus was born, surely God watched from above as the proud Father. He heard that first cry. He saw the miracle. And even though Jesus couldn't physically clasp God's finger, they still bonded. "You are my Son. I am your Father. And there is nothing that can make me stop loving you!"


Thank you, Father, for such an amazing miracle! I will never forget! And as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!