"...and I will dwell in the House of the LORD forever!"

Monday, February 6, 2012

The Supplemental Spirit

These past few weeks have been stressful at the Hawk's Nest. Natalie was attacked by the ominous "Cedar Fever" that constantly graces the Texas Hill Country, spinning everyone's allergies out of control. To make it even worse, her ailments were transferred to Hayden, and for the first time, I watched my baby boy cough, sneeze, and cry out for relief.


Natalie is already a superb "Dr. Mom". Since she stays home with him every day and attends to him like a pro, she had a better understanding of what Hayden was trying to say through his cries; but me? I was helpless. I didn't have a clue. I wanted to step in and be the hero, but I don't speak "Infant", and I don't understand. With a broken heart aching for my son, I was so glad that Natalie was my translator.


In all of these ordeals, I was reminded of Paul's thoughts abut the "Supplemental Spirit" in Romans 8:26 when he writes, "...the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express." When we don't know what to say, the Spirit does. When we can't say it, the Spirit will. Long, eloquent prayers aren't necessary, but only pure hearts that ooze with comforting, supplemental groans of the Spirit.


Hayden has seen the doctor, and Lord willing, he will be much better soon. But when I span over the history of my life, I'm so thankful that I can pray with confidence and pour out my aching heart to the Father. Even when I'm at a loss for words, with the aid of the "Supplemental Spirit", the "Great Physician" provides healing.