"...and I will dwell in the House of the LORD forever!"

Monday, March 19, 2012

The Longest Word in the Dictionary?



Supercalifragilisticexpialidocias. You probably recognize this 34 letter word from the classic musical, “Mary Poppins”. It created quite the jingle and was the test of all tests at Spelling Bees.

But did you know that there is another word that gives Supercalifragilisticexpialidocias a run for its money as the longest word in the dictionary? Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. Yes, it’s a real word, measuring 45 letters in length. It refers to a rare, but real lung disease. Some scientists claim there is a protein that is 1,185 letters long, but I don’t have the time or interest to go and find it. Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis will have to do.

God doesn’t need a long, drawn out word to get our attention. God told Moses, “Tell them the I AM has sent me to you.” (Exodus 3:14). Moses didn’t need any more explanation.

The “I AM”. It’s only three letters, but it’s good enough for Moses, it’s good enough for me, and it’s good enough for you. The “I AM”, was, is, and always will be.