"...and I will dwell in the House of the LORD forever!"

Monday, March 12, 2012

Talking or Listening?

One day an angry wife went to see her marriage counselor. As soon as she walked in the door, she yelled, "I want to divorce my husband." The counselor replied, "Well, do you have any grounds?" She answered, "Why, yes. We have almost an acre." The puzzled counselor then asked, "You don't understand. I want to know if you and your husband have a grudge." The woman answered, "Actually, we don't, but we do have a nice carport." Frustrated, the counselor shook his head and said, "Ma'am, I'm sorry, but I don't see any reason why you should divorce your husband." The disgruntled wife looked at her counselor and said, "Well, I do. He can't carry on an intelligent conversation."


Wow, not only was this woman confused, but she was extremely hypocritical. If she would have just slowed down, stopped talking, and started listening, she wouldn't have been so illogical.


As Christ followers, we tend to be very illogical, but James tells us how to be logical people. "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry..." (James 1:19)


Are you talking or listening?