"...and I will dwell in the House of the LORD forever!"

Monday, July 2, 2012

Refreshment for the Soul

This past week, my travels took me to Red River Family Encampment in Red River, New Mexico. It was my first time to attend the encampment and it was such a blessing. The scenery was beautiful. The cool temperatures were delightful. But, nothing compared to the refreshment of my soul.

The singing last week was some of the best I’ve ever heard (when thousands of people sing at the top of their lungs, you can’t help but be covered in goose bumps). I heard fantastic speakers open the Word and impart God’s will. I made new friends, and re-united with old ones. For one week, Christians took over the small town of Red River.

Red River Family Encampment, Lectureships, and Seminars are great. They give us that extra “push” for Kingdom work and our journey of faith. But, we need that same strength every week, and God has afforded us the opportunity. We can assemble, hear the word proclaimed, sing praises, partake of the Lord’s Supper, enjoy fellowship, and many more blessings that come with the Lord’s church. Are you benefiting from the opportunity? If you aren’t, you may not realize it, but your soul is starving.

If you’ve made church into a “hobby” or a monthly “get away”, I beg you to reconsider. You need the church. The church needs you. And together, our souls will be refreshed.

“I rejoiced with those who said to me, ‘Let us go to the House of the LORD.’” (Psalm 122:1)