"...and I will dwell in the House of the LORD forever!"

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Different Thanksgiving Experience

I pray everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday. Thanksgiving is a special time when everything seems right in the world. We might have recently lost loved ones. We might be struggling with finances. It might even seem like our health is weakening by the hour; but when we come together as family and friends, it’s easy to find multiple reasons to be thankful.

As usual, Thanksgiving was very busy for the Hawks. We clocked nearly 750 miles in four days visiting relatives and enjoying the holiday spread at each location (By the way, if you were wondering, big meals and long drives are a terrible combination). However, this year I had a different Thanksgiving experience.

Towards the end of the week, we spent time with Natalie’s family in Ranger, Texas at “Ma” and “Pa’s” farm outside of town. It was a true “country” Thanksgiving, very different than the “city” Thanksgivings I’ve experienced the previous 24 years, but equally as special. The weekend was filled with memories, but I will always remember Friday evening when over twenty relatives took time just to sing. We sang new songs and old songs; serious songs and fun songs. As a physical and spiritual family, we took time to thank God for being our God.

You might already share this tradition with your family, and if you do, I’m preaching to the choir; but if you don’t, I highly recommend making this a tradition. You know what it’s like to sing Sunday after Sunday during worship, but if you’ve never experienced singing in your home with loved ones, you’re really missing out on one of life’s greatest blessings.

“I will sing of the Lord’s great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations.” (Psalm 89: 1-2) One day, your family’s future generations will thank you.