"...and I will dwell in the House of the LORD forever!"

Monday, December 17, 2012

"You Shouldn't Have!"

After reading many articles about the Connecticut tragedy, it was refreshing to read a humorous article that lifted my spirits. The title immediately caught my attention—“15 Worst Gifts for Women”. Since Natalie and I have been married, some years I’ve hit a homerun with Christmas gifts. Some years a double, other years a single, a Fielder’s Choice, and unfortunately, some years I’ve struck out miserably. So, I always welcome advice when I find it. Here are a few of my favorite “terrible” gifts on the list:



1) Diet or fitness products

2) Tickets to sporting events

3) Gifts for yourself (Flat Screen TVs, New Recipe Cookbook, etc.)

4) A framed picture of yourself

5) Anything that can’t be easily exchanged

Needless to say, I’m appreciative for the tips. I’ve never placed the atrocities listed above under the tree, but I have been told, “You shouldn’t have”, knowing they were words of humiliation rather than humility.

We can read countless advisory articles about giving gifts, but we’ll never be able to give gifts as good as God's. He gave His Son. He gave His time. He gave His Spirit. He gave, and continues to give, His grace. That’s why Paul so appropriately writes in 2 Corinthians 9:15, “Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!”

This Christmas, if you unwrap the bow, open the box, and find yourself saying, “You Shouldn’t Have!” don’t let it silence your Jingle Bells or steal your Christmas cheer. God has given gifts that far exceed anything under the tree. He shouldn’t have, but through His love, He gave anyway. What will you do with the gifts?