"...and I will dwell in the House of the LORD forever!"

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Announcements from the TSA


If you’re a frequent flyer, great news has surfaced for your schedule. Last week, the Washington Post provided an announcement from the TSA, the Transportation Security Administration, which oversees all security checkpoints and stations in United States Airports. In the next few weeks, in at least 40 airports across the country, travelers will be able to keep their shoes and belt on as they walk through metal detectors and computerized screenings. Travelers must be pre-approved through hurdles of paperwork and regulations; but, if you become “approved”, you can keep your stinky socks and saggy pants to yourself.
 
 Since 9/11, airport travel has become difficult and tedious. This change will certainly expedite clearing security and airport maneuvering. Realistically, TSA is “catching up” to one of the most poignant passages of scripture. Paul tells us in Ephesians 6 that we are armed with many pieces of spiritual armor. Two of the most important pieces are the “shoes” and the “belt”—the shoes make our feet ready to carry the gospel, the belt shows us how to carry it with the undeniable, unchanging precepts of God.


I’m glad to know that next time I’m in the airport, I might be able to clear security without untying my shoes and loosening my belt; but, then again, spiritually speaking, why would I ever take them off? You see, I walk with a lighter step and stronger confidence, knowing that I’m armored for life. Don’t you?