"...and I will dwell in the House of the LORD forever!"

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Hallmark Trademark


How often do you visit your local Hallmark? If you enjoy greeting cards, unique gifts, and over-priced chocolate, Hallmark is the place for you. There’s always something special to find.

I read a humorous article  that listed some phrases you will never find on Hallmark’s greeting cards. Here are a few of them:


“Look backing over the years we’ve spent together, I can’t help but wonder…what was I thinking?”

“I always wanted someone to hold and someone to love…after I met you, I changed my mind.”

“When we were together you said you would die for me…now that we’ve broken up, you should keep your promise.”

“I’m so miserable without you…it’s almost like you’re here.”

“If we were on a sinking ship and there was only one life jacket left, I’d miss you tons and think of you often.”

These little “snippets” would make terrible greeting cards, wouldn’t they? Unfortunately, they often enter casual, Christian conversations. We may not say them word for word, but the affect is the same. We may think we’re offering compliments, but our words may not be complimentary. We may not define our comments as insulting, but others might be insulted. Yes, we might even think we’re providing hope, but we might be creating hopelessness.
 
You see, Hallmark understands the concept of Christian communication, even if they don’t always communicate Christian messages. Through our words, we must send our very best. And if our words don’t reach that standard, they’re not worth sending.