"...and I will dwell in the House of the LORD forever!"

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Honey vs. Vinegar


I met up with a good friend last week. As we discussed the various events taking place in our lives, and the different courses our lives are beginning to travel, he told me about one of his favorite “sayings”, but it didn’t originate with him. It’s a saying that is packed full of theological importance; a saying that contrasts the difference between honey and vinegar; a saying that he learned from his grandmother.

She would always say, “Some people are as sweet as honey. Some people are as sour as vinegar. But, I will choose to be sweet like honey—because honey is stronger, stickier, tastier, and it always lasts longer.”

 As God’s people, we need to remember that wisdom. Two wrongs don’t make a right. Two rights never make a wrong. Our words and actions need to be as sweet as honey, because these are the virtues of God. “How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” (Psalm 119:103)

Are you sticky and sweet, or slick and sour?